Saturday, April 10, 2021




tesla model s

Fifth explanation of this lesson,sideways like this behind that, right here these two cables going out of the passenger compartment into the rapid splitter assembly okay the next two cables that we are going to connect are the ones that go to the inverter for the rear electric motor the rear drive unit the inverter in that and if you look at this photo photograph and video from underneath the car, you can see that the inverter is on the passenger side on the passenger side of the drive unit now I have right here.

Connecting cables to the rear unit:

the empty shell of the inverter assembly on the vehicle that we have right here our performance rear drive unit and the two cables that we're going to plug in go right down these holes and bolt to the inverter right there and that's what you're seeing here in this photograph is where those two bolts will connect so let's plug those in looks like we have battery positive on the left battery negative on the right and then our low voltage logic connector right there so we will put in battery negative connection right from the rapid splitter and then our battery positive connection and then there's a bracket that holds them in place and you can see the two terminals right there down inside where bolts would go in and bolt to the inverter feeding dc power to the inverter that then creates an ac power to drive the induction motor in this in this vehicle so these cables are about 41 inches long and a little over 1 meter 1.04 meter in length each so that's the rear of the vehicle now so here in the rear of the vehicle, we have our charge receptacle for charging that goes to the onboard charger module that then feeds power to the battery at the rapid splitter the rapid splitter can take battery power and send it to the rear Drive Unit inverter and then it also can send it along, let me see how long these are, 151 inches 3.84 meters each of high voltage cable to the front of the vehicle to all the components that are up front and if it's an all-wheel drive vehicle there will be a front motor up there besides but there are high voltage components up there whether or not it's front-wheel drive so before we go up there one of the cables that I purchased had this this tag on it and it says for use with pyro fuse pack pyro fuse pack and I thought.

what's a pyro fuse:

pack and then I realized uh from reading about the release of the p90d in 2015 that they went from a standard battery fuse to a pyro switched computer controlled fuse so there's the standard fuse that's rated for a maximum of 1300 amps for a certain duration of time and then according to the press release, these fuses weren't predictable enough as to when they would go open or not go open and so they developed what they call a pyrotechnic battery fuse the pyro fuse and this particular one if you look at the label there says that it is a pyro technic circuit disconnect and it says powered and it says 2000 amps 2000 amp fuse and I thought wow that's impressive so I read up a little bit more on it I also recognized this electrical connector right here on the side of it if any of you do work with airbags that's the same airbag connector that's used in passenger vehicles for many things and so I thought well I wonder if I dare take this thing apart so I pulled the cover off and looked I thought I don't want this thing exploding in my hand but the more i thought about it the more i thought well it's even if it is self-powered which the press release said it has its own battery but I didn't see one when I disable or took it apart disassembled it has two additional 30 or 50 amp fuses at the top here depending on if it's AC or DC and then this blue and black plastic piece that you can see the back of right there is a part made by Autoliv and I don't have the exact I looked up I've got the part number for it here on the tesla pyrofuse but part of the pyrofuse is something called a battery disconnect switch a pyro switch from auto leave and I found one that looks just like it it has a high peak carrying capability of 2000 amps it's suitable for voltages up to 400 volts but it has a maximum continuous current of 300 amps at 85 degrees celsius so I'm not sure that well it's not even the, We move to the explanation number 6 of this lesson.